Android is a mobile OS that is based on Linux kernel modifications. On the other hand, iOS is exclusively available only for Apple devices. Initially, iOS was praised by users. Apple devices complemented the iOS developments. On the other hand, Android had to serve multiple devices that had different hardware and software specifications. With time, both Android and iOS have created their loyal customer base.
Pros and Cons of Android
- Android is open source and can be improved without purchasing a license.
- Android has more phone choices.
- The devices can be charged with universal chargers. Apple devices after 2012 cannot use chargers from before that year. Unlike this issue, Android chargers are easily available and can be available whenever needed. Android has adopted fast charging these days. Android was the first one to launch wireless charging too.
- Access to widgets. Widgets are self contained programs that add more functionality to Android.
- Nowadays, many Android brands are competing with iPhone devices. Many Android OS devices are offering high tech hardware and software.
- Android has more application choices.
- You can add external custom keyboards into Android.
- Android’s Google Play is way more user friendly unlike the iOS Apple App Store.
- Google’s Mobile OS is fragmented. Not all devices run the same Android OS version.
- Android does not have an apex governing body. All the versions that run on third party devices have been customized. Hence, users cannot look out for technical support during glitches.
- Many applications available in the playstore are not compatible across innumerable Android devices.
- The open source platform makes Android susceptible to hacking. You need to hire android application developers wisely and avoid malware attacks on your developed applications.
- Google Play store does not have stringent policies like Apple store. Due to this, many apps available on Android are filled with advertisements which affects the user experience. Most apps on Android are plagued with malware. Hire android application developers who have the experience to avoid such issues and offer great user experience.
- Overheating while playing games or viewing heavy graphics is a very common problem seen in Android devices.
Pros and Cons of iOS
- iOS is easy to use. Shifting from one iOS device to another will not change the user experience.
- iOS applications are easy to develop. iOS has a few devices and specifications than Android. The iOS app development process is uniform and is not affected by the individual device specifications.
- iOS generates less heat than Android.
- iOS offers many google Map features that Android doesn’t have.
- iPhone Gaming experience is more smooth and glitch free.
- iOS provides enough storage to store all your media files.
- Security is of utmost importance in iPhones. Applications that can be prone to malware are not included in the App store. Screen and hire an iphone developer who has experience in building applications that are not susceptible to security threats.
- iOS provides a better camera experience and gesture support.
- The user experience or homescreen icons remain the same even after an upgrade.
- Iphone applications are costly.
- iOS is available for limited devices only. You can hire an iphone developer who will help you launch your application for the Apple store.
- iOS is not open source. Hence, customization is not possible.
- iPhone and iPad do not support SD card usage.
- iOS applications have high downloading size. Most games on iOS have GB downloadable size.
Predictions for Android in 2021
- Android Market shares will witness a fall and rise
With the arrival of iPhone12, the Android market share took a fall. However, this status will be regained quickly with Google Pixel 6 release. Android might even go beyond 75% global market share.
- Google Pixel 6 will be a flagship brand
Google Pixel 6 will feature an octa-core Snapdragon processor coupled with 8GB of RAM and 128GB of storage. It will have Android 11 and is expected to pack a 4,080mAh battery with fast-charging support. An under-screen selfie snapper will be an interesting feature that the device will offer. Researchers and surveys have indicated that Google Pixel 6 will be the most preferred device by the end of 2021.
- 5G will be standard.
By the end of 2021, all Android devices will default to 5G. It is upto the manufacturers on how they will use this increased speed and reduced latency feature. Many iOT devices that run on Android will also be launched by the end of 2021.
- Samsung will release a better photo experience
In 2021, Samsung will surpass Google Pixel’s camera experience and technology.
- The Google Pixel watch will be finally available in 2021.
The elegant and highly functional watch will have an excellent battery life. It is also predicted that the smartwatch will release with the google Pixel 6. Infact, the company might provide a decent combo discount for both these devices.
- Easy contact tracing
Currently, Android depends on third party applications to trace contacts. By 2021, Android will offer its own AI based contact tracing options.
- Better Gesture navigations
Prediction for iOS in 2021
- You can expect an iOS15 release between July and August 2021. The beta version will be released in June 2021.
The iOS 15 is expected to have the following features:
- Always-on display
- Face ID app locking functionality
- Lock screen widgets
- Split View support
- Separation of native apps from the OS
- Screen sharing with FaceTime
- The Iphone 2021 is expected to reach the markets by late 2021Apple is expected to encourage wireless charging and improved optical zoom with the latest device.
- There are rumours that the iPhone 2021 would have a 4-camera system plus LiDAR.
- There are many speculations about how Apple will name its device this time. Despite the superstitions and unlucky factor associated with the number 13, Apple will roll out its next iPhone by the name iPhone 13.
- A portless phone with no lightning port might be available with the upcoming device. There are some developers with the opinion that Apple will not sell phones with wireless chargers this year. Instead, they will sell these as an add on to earn the extra revenue.
- The global pandemic has encouraged masks which makes Face ID scans a difficult option. There are chances that Apple will roll out a button-embedded Touch ID into the next iPhone to complement the Face ID.
- The current iPad Pro’s A12Z processor is based on two-year-old technology. 2021 can expect an iPad Pro update. The update might use an A14X processor and offer performance similar to what we see on the Mac with the M1.
- The next feature of iPadOS will include a redesigned home screen.
The age long debate between iOS and Android is never ending. Both the operating systems come with their own list of pros and cons. You need to weigh them properly and choose one that suits your requirements. Android app development is not that simple when compared to iOS. Uniform iOS across all Apple devices makes development easy. There are iOS , Android and cross platform app developers. The cross platform application developer will help you release an application for both the operating systems.
There are a lot of expectations from both these operating systems. We will have to wait and watch how both the companies will launch their products and updates. The predictions indicate that a tough competition will be seen in the market.